The current traffic flow in Headingley (including the current bus services) will be seriously affected by these proposals.
- Implications of the various road closures and banned turns (see the plans to find out how you will be affected). Examples include:
the banning of right turns into Burton crescent
closure of the South end of Weetwood Lane (with traffic diverted via St Chads Road and, according to metro forecasts, increased delay for
banning of all traffic turning out of Hollin Road onto Otley Road
- Implications of increased traffic congestion (as forecast by Metro):
Increased emissions and fuel consumption
Increased rat-running (eg on Queenswood Drive, Spen Lane, Weetwood Lane, Moor Road, etc).
- Reduced parking (see details) - for example loss of off-peak parking along Otley Road between Cottage Road
and Burton Crescent, loss of more than
7 spaces in Far Headingley - probably more like 18 when relocation of bus stops is taken into account.
- Disruption and inconvenience during the construction period.
The "preliminary works" are expected to begin in 2015 and construction is not expected to be completed before mid 2020 (the main construction
period will be from 2017 to 2020).
Plans have been prepared to accommodate contractors' vehicles and temporary storage of plant and materials (see details).
Some roads will be temporarily closed and some parking places suspended
Significant delay to traffic and public transport is expected
Constructors will be exempt from the usual rules on noise nuisance
- Implications for pedestrians and cyclists
- Implications of fast-moving, near-silent, articulated vehicles for pedestrian safety - note that some pavements alongside the Trolleybus lanes will be
narrowed and will have to accommodate new obstacles (shelters, signs, traffic light poles) in addition to the clutter of street furniture and refuse bins
which already exists.
- Implications of fast-moving, near-silent, articulated vehicles for cyclist safety - note that cyclists will be expected to use the trolleybus lanes for
much of the route,
- Disruption and inconvenience during the construction phase (see above)
Every effort has been made to try to ensure that the information provided on this
website is correct. If it is felt that any detail is incorrect,
please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org